Friday, November 4, 2011

Rain, rain

Well, we're having the first real rain of the season. It's rained a few times off and on, but today was the proverbial blustery day.

This hawk keeps flying by my window, and it's so big that it makes everything just a little bit darker. It finally feels like fall. I love it.

Next month, I'm going to finally meet my newest niece, and I'm so excited. She was born in July, and my mom went back to be with the family, but I couldn't go since she was going to be gone for the first week of school. I'm so excited about meeting her.

My older niece was just so amazing when I first saw her. She was so small and fragile-looking, but she had such a big personality. Even at six weeks old, she was talking and reaching for her mobile that hung over the changing table. She slept a lot too, but I just knew she was going to be an amazing human being, and she is. And now there's another one.

The jacaranda tree in the apartment complex across from my office is so green right now, and the dogwood tree that grows just outside my window has lost all its white flowers. Sometimes little sparrows perch on the top branches and sway with the breeze. I haven't seen or heard any of the wild parrots that roam around here. They must have all gone down south to Mexico.

My cat is getting his really thick winter coat. I brush him a lot more often now. Russian Blues have very short hair, but he tends to lose his glossy silver-blue tones if I don't brush him every other day right now. The guinea pigs used to get thick winter coats too. It was so funny, especially the little one would just look like a puff-ball.

Reflections in the water like shadows in my mind
Speak to me of passing days and nights, and passing time.
The falling leaves are whispering winter's on its way
I close my eyes remembering the warmth of yesterday

It seems a shame to see September swallowed by the wind
And more than that, it's oh so sad to see the summer end
And though the changing colors are a lovely thing to see
If it were mine ot make a change, I think I'd let it be

But I don't remember hearing anybody asking me...

-John Denver

No comments:

Post a Comment