Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Family Ties

So, I was going to write an amusing observation about the current baby boom going on, but I need to work something else out first.

This weekend, I went down to San Diego to see my uncle and auntie. My uncle wanted to talk to my mom and auntie about selling my grandparent's house, as he's dying and he would like the money to go on vacations and see the world before he dies.

I'm not sure exactly what he has. I heard "congestive longword longword cardiopulmonary longword disease." I can tell you that his breathing is really laboured, and his coughs sound very deep-chested, like someone with bronchitis or pneumonia.

My uncle has alway been a part of my life. My dad was obviously not so great. He was an alcoholic, and abusive, and he clearly thinks that my worth is tied to my uterus. My uncle, on the other hand, has always loved me and been accepting of me. He doesn't have any grandchildren, but he takes my cousin's little girl out fishing, and his neighbor's grandsons, too. He's not perfect, but he's also not mean or cruel in any way and for a long time he was the only man I knew like that. He also totally loves his wife, and for a long time he was the only man I knew like that.

I don't know what else to say, or even how to end this. I hope he's okay. I hope he has more than just a few years left. I hope he sees the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment