Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Wha' happen?

Why is it raining? It never rains in Southern California!

Oh man. It's coming down.

I've also decided to declare war on people who tell me that I have plenty of time to get married* and have kids. I'm glad they think that, but as an up-and-coming scientist, I can tell you that I have about four good years left in which to find a guy if I want to have biological children (I might not...), and that figures in meeting him, training him, getting engaged, and then waiting a year for the wedding.

Why do I bring these things up? I really don't know. It just kills me when people tell me what is and isn't true about my life without knowing me. My friend said the other day, "I'm going to kill the next person that says I'm married to Jesus. I mean, how creepy is that?" I said, "Jesus is great. I love Him. But He doesn't tuck me in at night, and if I have a nightmare, He isn't there holding me." She laughed, but we both got kind of quiet because we know that it's true. It sucks being single.

I love Men In Black when Will Smith says to Tommy Lee Jones, "Well, you know what they say. It's better to have loved and lost..." and Tommy Lee says, "Try it." So, I guess the next time someone says, "You have plenty of time!"* I'm going to answer, "Really? Then why did you get married so young? Kind of stupid of you."

*People seriously tell me this all the time when I visit churches. They ask me if I'm married, and I say no. Then they ask me my age and I waffle, but end up somewhere over 28 and under 35, and I get a little hand-pat and a "You have plenty of time." condescention speech. Just to spell it out: their comment is completely unsolicited, and I don't look down, embarrassed and "admit with unshed tears" my singleness. In fact, I often answer, "Oh, God no!" and the kids question is met with fear and "Dear Lord, no thank you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment