Monday, September 21, 2009

The Passholder Smugitude

On Saturday, my friend and I went to Disneyland in the evening specifically to see Fantasmic (or is it Phantasmic?). We, like a lot of people, got to the spot and set out our blanket. We sat down and talked and took turns shopping or getting food. We had snacks with us. Some lady came by and asked me what we were all waiting for. I told her. She asked when it started. I said 9:00. She looked at her watch and realized that what we were waiting for was four hours away. Naturally, she wanted to know if you really have to line up this early, and I shrugged and left it up to her. I mean, there's a reason we're all waitng here, you know? This couple was sitting on the other side of me. Apparently they thought what they were waiting for was coming soon, rather than just a few hours before the park closed. They asked if it was worth it. I tried to be as neutral as possible as I explained that, well, I live very close, and I have a season pass, so sitting around and waiting for a show is no big deal to me, but that if they are pressed for time, maybe it's something they can wait on until next time. I suggested the fireworks in front of the castle.

I'm thinking that next time I'm going to do what a lot of people did, and just leave my blanket on the ground and go off and do other stuff. I really wanted to ride Big Thunder because it's one of my favorites, and my friend really likes Indiana Jones the best. I was just worried that people would move our stuff around, but I have to say that no one really moved anyone's stuff or tried to steal territory. It's definitely a thought for next time.

After the show (SO not worth sitting on the ground for four hours, in my opinion), we went on Pirates because it was National Talk Like A Pirate day. As we were leaving, about 10:00 at night, this little kid behind us said that he was tired. My friend and I smiled at each other for a second because, yeah, even after sitting (and sometimes laying) on a blanket for four hours, we were tired. Then our mood turned sour when his mom shot back angrily with, "Well, you've been sitting in your stroller all day! I don't want to hear about it."

Happiest place on earth indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment