Sunday, February 28, 2010

On becoming an activist

I really dislike the idea of someone or something being helpless. When I first found out that people hurt animals, I decided that I needed to do something about it. When I realized that children and elders were treated the same way, I knew that it would be wrong to not help. Now it's my own family member who is threatened, and I'm not about to let her go down.

My mom, however, is determined to help herself, and it's sort of awesome.

I mean, it's not that she's not paralyzed with depression at times, but for the most part, she's plugging along really well. She called the Governor's office, and Barbara Boxer's office. Schwartzeneger's office had someone call her back and record what happened, and Boxer's office has been in contact, wanting to also get a formal statement, and also to get her account numbers and other information. It's really awesome, and I'm hoping that more will come of this.

So far, we've talked to a lot of people who have similar stories, and I really think that if we can all get motivated, maybe, just maybe someone will listen.

As for school, my brother came home to help us move, and as he was leaving, I gave him a hug, and he told me to not give up. I was considering it, but he's right. I can't give up. My mom is going to be okay on her own, and what I'm doing, I'm doing for the both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment