Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Moments of aggravation

Moving is very emotional. It's really hard to pack up everything and go. And inevitably, you start realizing that there are things you can live without so you have to figure out what to do with them. There's been a lot of shredding, and I've been culling my wardrobe quite a bit and now have a rather tidy pile of things I want to take to charity.

The biggest issue we have right now, though, is a stove. My mom bought a stove for her house back when she owned it, and by god she was going to take it with her when she moved. It would be really simplistic to chalk it up to her being a hoarder, which she is and she knows it, but I think it's more than just "hoarders gotta hoard." The stove was the one think from her house that she was holding onto, and she has to let it go. We have talked about it at length, and she admits that it must go, so I started looking into where we can take it. Unfortunately, Habitat for Humanity can't have it as it's more than five years old, but the Salvation Army could take it, and they also have shelters and whatnot where they can use it to benefit people. Win-win, right?

Well, I don't know what happened, but I had just checked with everything and was about to make the arrangements when she got really mad at me (watch an episode of "Hoarders" to understand the level of upset she fell to) and was like, "You know that's my stove, right?" I said, "Um...yeah, I know it's yours. Do you really think we can keep it?" "No, that's not what I'm saying. You just keep making these plans like it's yours, like you can do whatever you want with it, but it's not yours!" So, I naturally said, "Fine, do whatever you want with it. Get a storage facility for two hundred a month and pay 2400 a year just to keep your damn stove, but leave me out of it." I was just so upset. She started to relent and was like, "I'm sorry, you're right, I don't know...just make the arrangements." I told her that I wouldn't because in five years, I didn't want her coming back at me and yelling about how I got rid of her precious stove.

So, last night she said she knows where we're going to take it...hooray...

Anyway, I don't think badly of her or anything, it was just an aggravation that I needed to vent on because seriously, dealing with the elderly is difficult, and I have to start remembering that my mother, no matter how young I like to think of her, is now a member of the elderly.

No comments:

Post a Comment